News:

If you have news or announcements that you would like promoted, post in the "News! News! News!" thread in the Announcements forum, or contact your Guildleader.

Main Menu

Scanning the horizon for new MMO's

Started by Elly, February 12, 2015, 10:22:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jasyn

Been in the S.S. Next MMO's crow's nest for a while, too, on the lookout for New Horizons, or new EQs as the case may be.  I have to admit seeing Horizons mentioned both surprised and delighted me.  As broken/incomplete as it may have been, it had one of my favorite crafting/gathering systems to date.

Amazingly, "Horizons: Empire of Istaria" lives on as "Istaria: Chronicles of the Gifted," and even though I shared space with Saga in EQ on Firiona Vie, HZ played a pivotal role in merging our gaming paths.  Seriously, this title is like the feline of MMO's, having exchanged hands more times than I can remember.  It manages to outlive arguably more popular titles like SWG, Vanguard, and CoH, whilst still receiving semi-regular content updates and patches (I still receive producer's newsletters from these guys... I'm too sentimental to unsubscribe from the list).  If Horizons can do it, why can't EQN?

Anyhow, I'm happy for this thread as it has enlightened me to some titles I either hadn't heard about or hadn't been following.  I'll be interested in following some of the developments.

Korg Ironhand

You know, really...

It seems the sentiment that's coming up most is, "we want a great new game, but we want to get a lot of us together again a little more than a new game".

I just wonder, while we're waiting for that next big thing, if there isn't a game we could all agree on that gets the largest "This game doesn't suck" vote. (So the bar is a little low. Sue me.) I think the biggest factor would be burn out. Meaning, revisiting a game that the majority has played to death already. That said, I wonder if we can agree on something.

Lyrima, I knew mentioning HZ would get you worked up.  :2funny: I've heard about ESO going FtP soon, and I've heard it's come a long way from it's initial woes the early reviews cried about. The game does sound interesting to me, though frankly I haven't jumped into it yet because of the reasons in my original post here, meaning I didn't want to buy the game and run around without an active guild. Playing Single player mode in an MMO has always been the quickest path to burn out to me.

SWTOR: Rigg, Zieg
Rift: Laenha
EQ1: Korg Ironhand
Horizons: Zieg Farstrider

Korg Ironhand

Yeah, I'm just going to throw this out there. My last post was sort of hinting at an idea, but I'm just going to say it plainly. If nothing comes of it, then nothing comes of it.

There aren't a lot of us that hang out here these days, but those that do are scattered here and there. Since there's nothing on the horizon coming up soon, is there a chance of mustering the ranks that want to play with each other and picking a current game as the vehicle for it? Or, even if we don't have the numbers to make that happen in spades, is there a good guild someone is running with that we can migrate to as a group, until a day that we can boast enough to reach critical mass and re-establish Saga?

These games seem to be the forerunners:

GW2
SWTOR
ESO

The first two because most of us already have them. The only problem I see is they might be a bit "been there, done that". I added ESO because it seems to most recent and I doubt all of us have it, so it could be fresh. Plus, Lyrima and Blaek are already there, in a guild (which I'm assuming it's a great guild, because Lyrima and Blaek are in it).

There very well could be another game that can fit the bill better. There's still Rift, and even the aforementioned HZ, though I'm not sure how viable it would be. Really, as long as the game is good and fun and doesn't make us puke from burn out, it's worth a mention.

Frankly, I'm just looking for a way to pull the wayward family together. If there's just a lot of nostalgia but not enough enertia/desire to do this, then no big deal. It's just that it *seems* like we want this. We really do. We just can't get it going.

Jhared

You know, I am up for all of those, Korg. Although I am uncertain whether or not my PC can handle GW2 and ESO. Regardless I want to at least try to jump on the wagon with you guys. So count me in!  :viking2:

ElektroViking

EQ1: (league of shadows) Zaemai Solusekro, Bryars Bloodrose
EQ2: (Saga) Tanuvan, Ticki, Rizzle
SWtoR: (Dark Squadron) Darth Pernicious
GW2: (Saga) Rick Ratchyt(80), Ticki Tock(80), Duegar, Mystic Krull

Jezerai

GW2 just kind of fell flat for me, but I'd be up for a run at ESO or another run at SWTOR. 

These days, I've been drifting around a bit game-wise.  I've picked up Endless Legends and Dragonage Inquisition which have been all-consuming.  I've dabbled a bit in EQ2 and was enjoying the Tranquil Seas expansion alot, but the guild I joined there was not very interactive and I kind of drifted away again.  The latest expansions in EQ2 provide content that is suitable for small groups of two or three as well as full group content, which I liked but was unable to really get Bahladar on board with me there.  heh

Bottom line, MMOs are just not cutting it for me without a group of friends to play with. 
EQ2: Boudeccai, Callysta, Dulcette, Mabb, Missa, Kudzoo, Negghia, Alanni
SWTOR: Jezerai, Callysta, Jujule, Myrriam, Catta, Temi'ana
TSW: Kud-zu, Teasel

Korg Ironhand

Quote from: Jezerai on February 17, 2015, 09:38:49 AM

Bottom line, MMOs are just not cutting it for me without a group of friends to play with. 

Exactly.

Elly

It's hard. Ethawn and I have lost many of our longtime gaming friends to 'real life', in that their significant others do not game and so it becomes a rare thing for them to find online gaming time.

Also we haven't had an engrossing game experience since our first run at Guild Wars 2, and I suspect a large part of that was the joy of experiencing it through a tight knit enthusiastic guild. Although the Hammers did go through disintegration for many reasons, it was inevitable anyway: many friends got married and/or otherwise stopped gaming.

The only other time I have been 'in-love' with a game since is Minecraft. Mixxi was the one who started that, when she encouraged many Saga'ites to come to the Saga Minecraft server. I've since gone back to Minecraft many times, enjoying modded versions. Hoping a Saga Minecraft server may happen again, keeping my fingers crossed. Lots of possibilities in Minecraft, especially with RPG element mods like dungeons and magic. Cities could be built from scratch, hand written mythologies and custom quests. As a gamer I definitely have become more of a sandboxer over the past couple years.

As far as traditional MMO's go, it would be cool even if the people still playing could try and be around 1 or 2 designated times a week (in a chosen game)- just to have a fair amount of people around. Perhaps a hook like a new RP group concept, or starting with new low level characters. Fresh starts attract people back to games.

GW2 seems like the best candidate in my opinion- mostly because there are no extra fees needed at this time. I love SWTOR but our budget is tight, not sure if I can play it at the level I want in free mode, same with ESO- I thought I heard it was painful in FTP mode, travel wise. Even so, I'm open to what the consensus decides. 

Askari

WildStar is having a 10-day free trial, so I'm playing Dominion side and enjoying it. I'm not sure if it will hook me enough to subscribe next week, when the free trial runs out... but we'll see. Real life interrupted my first play-through of WildStar last year, so there is still plenty for me to see and do in that game.

I also recovered my GW2 password last night and re-loaded that game. I toured my characters quickly last night and have five level 80's that I've totally forgotten how to play... out of my fourteen (yes, fourteen) character slots. I could be convinced to join a regular group in GW2, if it's at a time I can make it to. I'm available weeknights ~6pm-10pm pacific or any time on the weekends except for the occasional Saturday nights. I could play at 80th or could level up another character with a dedicated group that "grows up" together. I have a Ranger, Elementalist, Guardian, Warrior, and Necro at 80th... and Thief would likely be my next character to level if we start lower.

I'm also likely to try ESO in March when it drops its subscription fee.

And I'll be dropping in on a modded Saga Minecraft server if one appears, because I can't not do that!
EQ1-FV: Fnortner, Grimwyrd, Fumoto, and army of alts. BDO: Salamandros. GW2: Arkturo. EQ2: Panacea. RIFT: Nock. SWTOR: Croaker.
Grimwyrd on Discord: SagaFamily Channel= https://discord.gg/pC3NDpAP

Korg Ironhand

It's looking like GW2 is the better choice. SWTOR is painful if you're not subscribed, and even though it's going FtP, ESO is still $60 for those that don't have it already. A good lot of us have GW2 already.

Askari's time frame of 6-10 pst works well for me when I get back to work, which should be soon.

I don't have an 80 at the moment, but that can probably be fixed. That said, would a start up group be the better way to go?

Not even sure how the logistics would work out if we got a regular party going (do one person's Charr storyline, then everyone truck over to the Asura area?). I know this. Party size is 5. If we could get between 5 and 10 people into this, it'd be a party. :)

Please sound off if you're interested, and if these prereqs work for you.

Elly

Korg, Ethawn and I would be interested. Our only problem at the moment is that it's been so long since we've been in GW2 that we have forgotten how to play it!

Starting some new alts fresh and relearning the game before experiencing dungeons again would be awesome. I have no preference on race. An all one race team might be interesting, i.e. a Charr Warband, Asura Krewe, Norn hunting party, etc. Would make doing the area storylines a little more logical, maybe? Plus it might make it easier to catch up if you have to take a night off, knowing what areas were gone through in your absence.

6-10 PST works fine. Maybe designate 1 or two weeknights, and 1 weekend time? Some people need weekend time due to time differences and/or work obligations during the week.

Talon is the GW2 guild leader, I bet he has some good ideas on this. :)

Korg Ironhand

Well, since we've gotten a bit more specific on which game, I'm going to continue this in the GW2 section. It's titled "Come play GW2 with us!".

Mixxi

PinkRose

Nominations for XO have been set. The polls have closed.
Congratulations Korg.
This is great work and initiative.
I hope I can join you all when schedules match.
The opinions expressed here are my own and I have my wife's permission to say so.

Cyrian

It's quite a ways off, but this is what I'm looking forward to.   http://camelotunchained.com/v2/

Made by the minds behind Dark Age of Camelot, which is my favorite MMO of all time.

"The Spatula of Purity shall scramble the eggs of your malfeasance!" Sir Osric The Chaste

Lyrima

I love the idea of GW2 groups.  I told Blaek I'd like to dust off the game and see if I could join all of you.  I'll head over to GW2 to see what the plan is :)
~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^
Lyrima - EQ2, ESO, now Baldur's Gate 3
Lark - Storm Trooper SW:TOR
Kiaria - Warden EQ2, ESO
Tira l'Arc - Ranger/Healer HZ/ EQ2, ESO
Athen'a - TankArcher AC

Jasyn

Quote from: Lyrima on March 02, 2015, 02:09:45 PM
I love the idea of GW2 groups.  I told Blaek I'd like to dust off the game and see if I could join all of you.  I'll head over to GW2 to see what the plan is :)

It's not in yet, but let Blaek know 1st person camera is coming soon.  For some reason, I seem to have a memory of him loving 1st person. :)

Sroth

Just throwing this out there... there are other types of online games we could play. Especially if getting 10+ Sagaites together is difficult. There are a lot of options for playing old school PnP RPGs online these days, some of which take less time to prepare for than others (I'm sure most of us know how much homework can be involved for the DM and players).

I might be poking into GW2 again one of these days, though. See what's new, maybe dust off some characters, or even start new ones if the leveling experience has changed at least somewhat.

Menemas

Let me throw a wrench into this whole process.

www.blackwatchment.com

I met these guys at PAX East.  They did work with the ARGs tied to The Secret World, among others.  Very interesting premise.  Its in alpha now, free to download and try out, here.

Right now it looks like a lot of puzzle solving, mysteries, research, codes, etc.  Reading the website and talking with them sounds like there might be more later, but I'm still not sure.  Its worth checking out.  A quick download and hop into mumble and we can teamwork these puzzles down!

Meanie
"I hate playing against you.  You, specifically.  You're the BEST F'n ball runner in the world.  I HATE when you're on the other side.  Oh, I'm Menemas, and I have 1.2 Billion health!"  - Xho.....about Huttball.

Talon

Perhaps a bit off-topic.
Sroth, regarding leveling in GW2:

Could be interesting to play through the new style of leveling.

I find that the new level system makes you feel like you've achieved something with meaningful rewards such as gear, a handful of skill points, trait points, unlocked access to a new tier of armour (green, yellow, orange) or content.

I'm in two minds about this. While it does make the process feel rewarding, I can't help but feel a little fenced in. Granted, I never tried to access any content that was beyond my current level but when I compare it to the old days, I worry.

For example, apparently being able to use the Asura Gates is unlocked at a certain level (18) now. Presumably meaning you're stuck in your home zone unless you want to walk. There is a certain aspect of adventure to that, though.

It seems as though weapon skills are now also level-based like utility skills rather than based on usage of a weapon. Not sure I approve of that one. Or the ability to pick up Points of Interest for map completion doesn't become available until level 7 (assuming I'm reading it right) seems a bit arbitrary.

Level Rewards has the full list of rewards for each level if you're interested. Certainly a different experience.

On the plus side, there are scrolls of experience that let you level up to level 20 instantly for a character on your account (if you have one, that have been rewards in the past for content) and the daily login rewards have a bag of experience giving you a tome of experience that can be transferred to any character on your account and used to gain one level. They come in a variety of volumes depending on how many logins. If you log in every day for a month you would end up with 10 tomes, so ten levels.