News:

If you have news or announcements that you would like promoted, post in the "News! News! News!" thread in the Announcements forum, or contact your Guildleader.

Main Menu

Journal Entries from Eorzea

Started by Auren, August 04, 2014, 07:47:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Auren

Nashu'a Jinjhal's Journal

Third Sun of the Fourth Umbral Moon

Work has been slow with the Adventurers' Guild lately and I have thrown myself into my arcane studies, much to the delight of Thubyrgeim, the Arcanists' Guild's acting guildmaster.  However, this has come with the added benefit of learning what the Guild does for Limsa Lominsa, which is cargo inspections on all incoming and outgoing shipments.  I was tasked with a mock inspection and I passed with flying colors.  The proctor for the test was a Miqo'te woman named K'lyhia.  She bears an odd resemblance to Y'shtola...

Anyway, she's a master of strategy and tactics.  She was so happy with my results that she decided to bring me along for the real thing later that night.  Apparently, a local goblin family was suspected of dealing black market goods, and she expected that the encounter would get violent once she confronted them.

Later that night, we finally managed to corner one of the goblins.

K'lyhia's prediction came true far more quickly than I had anticipated it would.  We were set upon so swiftly that I thought it was an ambush at first.  The goblins were mere merchants, though, and we subdued them without much fuss.  K'lyhia took the opportunity to give me a lecture.  She's really passionate about... tactics.  And strategy.

Acting guildmaster Thubyrgeim has been very pleased with my progress and promised to teach me a new form for my arcanima tomorrow.  So, with that thought, I will sign off for the night.

Excitedly awaiting the morning,
Nashu'a Jinjahl

Auren

Fourth Sun of the Fourth Umbral Moon

So much has happened
I'm not sure what to do
K'lyhia's inspection didn't

Today wasn't a good day.

It started off well enough.  I got out of my bed, which still smells like fresh linen, and went downstairs for breakfast.  Honestly, I had never truly considered seafood for breakfast until I started living in Limsa Lominsa.  Oh how I had been missing out!  After I'd eaten, I made my way to the Arcanists' Guild.  Something interesting to note, while I'm thinking about it, is that "Arcanists' Guild" is really a nickname for the place.  The actual name of the area is Mealvaan's Gate.  Anyway, before I could get through the doors, K'lyhia intercepted me.

It seemed that she had a favor to ask of me.  She was going to be inspecting a merchant ship suspected of smuggling and wanted my help again.  She expected heavy resistance, and though she told me that she had full confidence in my abilities, she wanted me to learn the new arcanima geometry the acting guildmaster had mentioned yesterday.  I informed her that I was already on my way to learn it, and she grinned at me, saying I was far more much like the Arcanists' Guild's guildmaster than she'd originally thought.  Telling me she had to take care of some arrangements, we parted ways, and I found myself standing in front of Thubyrgeim before long.

She had a short lecture prepared for me on the uses for this new bit of arcanima.

And then we dug into it.  She transcribed the formulae into my grimoire.  They were elegant, though a bit more complex than my original arcanima.  Nothing I couldn't handle though.

It was then that K'lyhia arrived with two rather imposing figures.

They had helped K'lyhia in the past and seemed loyal to her - an odd sentiment from mercenaries.

We discussed our plan of attack and then left for Aleport, a small settlement just outside the city.  The merchant vessel in question, the Morningstar, was still out at sea, and we'd need to use the landing boat to get out to it.  I approached the steersman, but as soon as he figured out who I was, I was ambushed by a couple mercenaries.  The surprise attack blindsided me and I was barely able to stay away from their daggers, much less counterattack.  Luckily for me, my new topaz carbuncle arcanima did its job and saved my skin a few times.

Once the mercenaries were dispatched, the steersman fled, leaving his boat for us to commandeer.

I'd like to store the next part of my tale in a memory-crystal matrix, both for record-keeping purposes and because I feel my written words may not do it justice.

After that ordeal, we regrouped in Aleport.  K'lyhia was still passed out, but Geissfryn and Aersthota were tending to her.  I knew she was in good hands, so I quickly made my way back to the Arcanists' Guild to report in.

Acting guildmaster Thubyrgeim was understandably worried when I told her what had transpired, and she thanked me for the aid I rendered.  She mentioned that she had a few things to think on and to prepare for K'lyhia's arrival, so she bid me a good night with a promise to tell me more about the merchant we had faced off against at a later time.

Thinking about K'lyhia's reaction to him makes my blood boil.  Next time I see him, he won't be getting away.  I'm going to try and get some rest.

Sharpening claws,
Nashu'a Jinjahl