News:

If you have news or announcements that you would like promoted, post in the "News! News! News!" thread in the Announcements forum, or contact your Guildleader.

Main Menu

Announcing a new activity: 9Dragons day!

Started by Namae Nai, January 03, 2008, 09:52:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Namae Nai

Hello everyone!

I've noticed that lately, we seem to have split up into many different groups that all have unique playtimes so some of us don't see each other. I think that's fine, but we need some way to relate and talk to each other that's not on the boards, or in our poor much maligned chat room. While we no longer have an official in-game guild to lean on, that doesn't mean we can't still do things and have fun together.

So, here's my plan: In the interests of community building I found a really fun and pretty easy MMO game for us all to play. The best part is it's totally free! Yeah, no monthly fees, a free download, and you don't even need to input any credit card info. You just need an email address and you can sign in and play! It's called 9Dragons and I'll fill you in more on what it's about at the bottom of this post.

So what I think is we should figure out one or two times a week, and I'll do my best to be there every week. We don't have to even play this particular game, it would just be a good place for us to meet up and roleplay. If we decide we could even pick another game to play that week. The important part is that we have something we can all do together and this seemed like the best way to be completely inclusive of everyone.

The system specs for 9Dragons are pretty low. If you're playing EQ2, WoW or Vanguard, they shouldn't be a problem. I think most everyone's computer will fit in the 'ideal' catagory.

QuoteHDD: 800MB

Minimum requirements
CPU: Pentium 3 1GHz or higher
RAM: 512MB or higher
VGA: GeForce MX or higher
Connection: 56k modem(dial-up) or greater

Recommended specifications
CPU: Pentium 4 1.6GHz or higher
RAM: 1GB
VGA: GeForce 2 MX or higher
Connection: DSL/Cable or greater

Ideal specifications
CPU: Pentium 4 2.4GHz or higher
RAM: 1GB
VGA: GeForce FX5900 128MB or higher
Connection: DSL/Cable or greater

As far as the game itself, it's a Korean game that's translated into English. It's set in ancient China (during the Ming dynasty) and you start out as a peasant and learn the ways of Kung Fu. Eventually you can join one of six Clan's to learn Kung Fu's inner secrets.

The UI is a little unfamiliar. If you've played Neverwinter Nights, the UI is a little like that, in that instead of walking, you click the mouse to run to places. You fight by turning off Peace mode and double clicking your enemy.

They went really crazy with the attack animation. He's some game play videos of each of the Clans:

Character creation customization isn't anything special but some of the clothing is really wild and conforms more to modern expectations of how they dressed in the Ming dynasty, rather than a more realistic style. Yes, there will be ninja clothes.  :ninja:

So, what would be a good time for everyone? I'd like to get started right away, so Thursday's work for me to start. Say 5 pm PST, or 7 PM CST? We'll say for one hour, but it can go for as long as people wanna keep playing. I'll be there later today but I don't honestly expect a huge turnout this week because of the short notice and the fact that you need to download the software first.

I'll post some screenshot of my 9Dragons characters later when I get a chance. Even though I seem like I'm pushing this issue kinda fast, it's mostly so I don't let it slide and procrastinate. I am open to your input as to how to handle this. Feel free to respond via posting, or PMing me!  :angel:

P.S. Special note to those who are downloading the software: You have to do it via ActiveX controls on Acclaims website. If you get just the file, it won't install (it will say something about needing and MSI file or something.) Click on the install Active X control bar when you're in the downloads section and it should launch a patcher program for ya. Good luck!  ;)
Namae Nai, Wandering Troubadour, 60,000,000,000$$ reward!

Namae Nai

If anyone does happen to already have 9Dragons up and running, I'll be on Aoia (Black side) for the next hour! :)

You'll also want to know that they way you send a tell in 9D is different. Instead of "/tell <name> Hello!" it's "/<name> Hello!"

Grimaldo

So, uh, what server are you on?  Character names?

I got a fella named Longweii (the original spelling, Longwei, means "dragon greatness" in Chinese).  He's looking to join the Heavenly Demon Clan.

Namae Nai

Oops! I'm playing on the Nirvana server (there are only three servers, one is PvP, and the other is the Euro server. Nirvana is the only US non-PvP server.)

I have three characters:

Aoia (Heavenly Demon Clan- Black)
Aoi-ji (Wu-Tang Clan- White)
Tsunamae (Sacred Flower Clan- Black)

Jasyn

Looks awful tempting... and the price is right.  And ooh!  Shiny, pretty (the videos anyway)!  Might consider giving it a test drive but no promises.  Time tends to be kinda inflexible for me during the week.

Tsunamae... heh... like the name :)

Flann

That looks nifty! I'll give it a try.

Flann

Titia

I4m about to move so I'll be incommunicado for a month or so but as soon as I'm back I4ll have a look into this :)

Titia

Just had a look at the videos... Sacred Flowers *is* for Titia  :ninja:

Namae Nai

Quote from: Durnig on January 04, 2008, 06:21:37 PMSo, uh, what server are you on?  Character names?

I got a fella named Longweii (the original spelling, Longwei, means "dragon greatness" in Chinese).  He's looking to join the Heavenly Demon Clan.

Confession time! I looked at that name and thought your alts would be "Hung Lo" and "Long Wong." I have such a filthy mind!

Bad Namae!  :ana

But seriously, I can't wait to meet Longweii!

Quote from: Jasyn on January 05, 2008, 01:23:07 AM
Looks awful tempting... and the price is right.  And ooh!  Shiny, pretty (the videos anyway)!  Might consider giving it a test drive but no promises.  Time tends to be kinda inflexible for me during the week.

Tsunamae... heh... like the name :)

Thanks! I was inspired somehow!  ;D

I'm flexible on the times. I don't want to conflict with EQ2 night, but I can do it on a weekend day if you like.  ;) I just wanted to give us some initial direction by setting it all up in advance.

Quote from: Flann on January 05, 2008, 05:28:28 PMThat looks nifty! I'll give it a try.

Flann

Looking forward to it friend!  :tan:

Quote from: Titia on January 08, 2008, 02:52:00 PMJust had a look at the videos... Sacred Flowers *is* for Titia  :ninja:

It's a very cool clan, and pretty easy to enter, too. Sacred Flowers only admits women, and Shaolin only admits men, so they're kinda opposed by nature. In the game lore, the founder of Sacred Flowers was a woman on the run from Emperor Heavenly Demon, who wanted to take her as his wife by force. She tried to hide out at the Shaolin temple, but they refused her entrance because she was female. So out of spite her Clan is exclusively female, and concerned with leveling the balance between Yin (female) and Yang (male) in Yin's favor.

Jasyn

Yeah, the videos were what really piqued my interest.  The last time I looked at some static coverage of this game, I just skimmed past it

I took some time to create a character and run through the tutorial quest, and I really have no idea what I'm doing!  Definitely looks interesting, but the interface and character controls really do make me even fonder of EQ2. :)

My guy is named Togekushi, but he'll also answer to Toge.  ^-^

He'll be aligning himself with the Brotherhood of Thieves.

Namae Nai

Just putting up a quick reminder. It's only 3 hours away!

:bounce: <-- Can't wait!

tanare

i have a Sacred Flower there. Kyri, Tanare's far too clueless to be a deadly ninja type but Kyri has no such difficulties. missed this thread in time to show up though

Flann

Darnit. I wasnt feelin too good, went to work anyway yesterday. Got home, went straight to bed, was gonna take a nap and get up by 9 and try to find you guys. I got up 15 hours later. Gads, I havent slept like that since I was a kid. I feel tons better, though. Sorry I missed the first night. I made a guy a few days ago, Kwanchai. He intends to be Shaolin. Not sure why.

Flann

Titia

Finally got back online, so I figured I'd give a try to 9 dragons. Thing is the game doesn't to like me: despite several attempts I'm unable to complete a patch download (# 26), hence I cannot play. Tried all the download medium (both web, both IE and direct TCP connect), none would work.

Couldn't find much info on the forums (not that I spent much time looking though).

Anyone got this issue and knows how to fix it ?

Namae Nai

I tried many many times to install 9Dragons via a direct download, and never got it to work. I dunno why they even offer downloads for the game. It was very frustrating.

The only way that ever seems to work is going to the acclaim site, clicking your info bar, and installing the ActiveX control found there. That will launch a patcher from your web browser, and installs 9Dragons for ya!  :)

So don't bother with any other method. They all end with wierd error messages about missing MSI's or something. Lemme know if this doesn't work for some reason.  O0

Titia

So much for Firefox users then  ???

I'll give it a try with IE  :buck2:

Titia

I'm in, look for Tinia if you get the chance (for some reasons Titia is a forbidden name...)

Namae Nai

Eep! I'm sorry I missed you!  :(

Anyway, I'll be on as NamaeNai if anyone wants to join me! :)

Jasyn

Still trying to figure this thing out but haven't really had much time to poke around.  I didn't get online until late tonight, so I'm sure I missed everyone.  I created a new character, though.  So now I also have someone aligned with one of the White Clans...

Name is Shirafuno, a vagabond on the path to the League of Beggars. :)