News:

If you have news or announcements that you would like promoted, post in the "News! News! News!" thread in the Announcements forum, or contact your Guildleader.

Main Menu

An anniversary

Started by Mixxi, August 22, 2013, 06:38:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mixxi

The barefoot man steps cautiously into the tavern, a large, inexpertly-wrapped bundle under his arm. He notes the presence of Sylvari, Asura, and Norn with some relief, but seems rather puzzled by several of the other patrons. Shrugging, he carefully unwraps his bundle and holds out a book. He has heard that the folk here treasure such things.

This is a book that I made for my friend, Ewin. It's coming up on the anniversary of his Awakening.

He notes the rather confused looks on the faces of some of the folk around him.

He's Sylvari. They are not born. Instead, they are created by the Pale Mother who buds them, and they slumber in the Dream long before they emerge to walk with us.

He looks at the book thoughtfully and seems to be speaking to himself.

Tyria is a better place with him in it. I am a better man with him in it.

Noticing the looks of the people at the tables, he takes a breath and speaks more loudly.

Please wish him joy if you see him. And please look at this past year. I think you will see some familiar faces.

Awakening 

(I highly recommend watching in high-res)

Talon

Ewin stepped into the tavern and looked around. He didn't spend a lot of time in taverns, though more lately.

There were a lot of strange faces but, thankfully, some familiar. The sylvari tried not to tense at the odd assortment. His leafy robes flowed and were stirred gently by the breeze coming through the door to the tavern before he gently closed it.

There was a very faint rustle as he shook the rain out of the leaves on his head. A few drops still glistened there and caught the ambient light.

Spotting Keyes, Ewin made his way over with the broadest of grins. Familiar faces were nice but this face in particular was always welcome. He peered over the human's shoulder knowing that Keyes was aware of his presence. It was a beautiful book on the table. The colours appealed to him.

Reaching out slowly, the mesmer opened the book and stares. His expression curious, then filled with wonder. As he turned each page, slowly staring at each in turn, he looked up at Keyes and gave him a significant look. At the end, he turns and embraces the man in a grateful hug.

"Thank you," he whispered. Nothing more needed to be said, it seemed, he just stared at the human quietly for several moments, smirked, and returned to the book, reverently turning the pages from the beginning.

Mixxi

Rolling his eyes at the smirk, the human sighed in a combination of contentment and exasperation and, keeping his arm looped around the Sylvari's waist, looked down at the pages, quickly losing himself in memories of familiar faces and places.

Jasyn

(( I might as well cross-post my reaction from the Hammer boards! ))

Wiffle scowls at the distraction--interrupting his thoughts on Big Important Things--and appears completely disinterested in Keyes' daydreams and his book of leaf pressings.

Hmph!  Only a year?  Me calculations must be off because it feels like it 'as been considerably longer.

And yet--as soon as he felt no one was watching--with a furtive glance over each of his shoulders, he stole an opportunity to peek at Keyes' memento of Ewin, a thumb lick with every page turn.  But what was that odd sensation?  He flipped from one page to another--and another--and as he reached the end, anyone with commendable eyesight... in the right light... at the right angle... at the right moment... might have seen the tiniest of smiles forming in Wiffle's eyes.

BAH!  Look wot ye made me do!

With that, he thumped the book onto the nearest surface, stomped his foot, and waddled away.

(Beautifully done, Mixxi!  Happy Awakening Day, Ewin  :)  )

Mixxi

Quote from: Jasyn on August 25, 2013, 02:49:09 PM
(( I might as well cross-post my reaction from the Hammer boards! ))

((It gets complicated, doesn't it! :) ))