News:

If you have news or announcements that you would like promoted, post in the "News! News! News!" thread in the Announcements forum, or contact your Guildleader.

Main Menu

Forum Upgrade looms! DOOM!

Started by Alirrin, April 28, 2023, 08:32:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alirrin

OK, probably not doom.  :D

I need to run an upgrade to the forum software to bring us up to current standards (our hosting service is wagging its finger at us...).  I haven't picked the day yet, but some time next week I will take the site offline to do the upgrade, and then will probably have to spend some time getting our customizations back.

I'll post again to give 24 hours notice, but be prepared.  :---
EQ2 - Antonia Bayle: Quince Flutterfoot, Frixobulus, Sunbeam

PinkRose

Thank you, Quince.
Would you like pay in pie or Jumjum?
The opinions expressed here are my own and I have my wife's permission to say so.

Menemas

"I hate playing against you.  You, specifically.  You're the BEST F'n ball runner in the world.  I HATE when you're on the other side.  Oh, I'm Menemas, and I have 1.2 Billion health!"  - Xho.....about Huttball.

Alirrin

You provide the Jumjum, I'll make the pie!   :---

Alirrin

I am tentatively planning to work on this tomorrow afternoon, likely between 1 and 5 PDT. If the site fails to respond or you get something odd, just wait a while and try again.

If I end up not working on it then, I will post an update.

Alirrin

After fighting with the installer for several hours, I am declaring round 1 a win for the installer. I have restored everything back to the starting point and will try again either later today or tomorrow.

:viking2:

Alirrin

Round 2, no difference. I have submitted a support ticket.  :viking2:

Alirrin

OK, got through the upgrade, now to get our custom look and feel back ...

Alirrin

First problem: The "Custome avatars" folder was the one that had a bad path and was preventing the migration. Because of that, all of our avatars are gone :(

I'll see if I can find them, but folks will probably have to upload new ones.

Alirrin

OK, I found a theme that is close to our old color scheme and seems about 90% compatible with the old layout. The only thing is that there is a spot for a logo at the top left. We don't have a logo, so it's a blank spot. If anyone would like to generate a logo for that spot, it needs to be a PNG with transparent background and 380x100 pixels. If you make something and want me to try it out, let me know.

Everyone has personal control over the theme for their own account and can revert to the default SMF theme if you prefer.

You can also browse https://custom.simplemachines.org/index.php?action=themes to find other themes you like. Set the filter to version 2.1, and if you see one you want to use let me know. I can download it and make it available for you to use.

With that, the upgrade is done. Let me know if you see any problems with it.

Menemas

Its a different look, but I'm sure I'll get used to it! Thank you, Quince!
"I hate playing against you.  You, specifically.  You're the BEST F'n ball runner in the world.  I HATE when you're on the other side.  Oh, I'm Menemas, and I have 1.2 Billion health!"  - Xho.....about Huttball.

PinkRose

I would really like this theme. Others can take a look at it as well.
https://custom.simplemachines.org/index.php?theme=2973

The opinions expressed here are my own and I have my wife's permission to say so.

Menemas

Alirrin

I tried installing it, and the site crashed. Looks like it's not compatible with the current version. :-(

Lyrima

Thank you so much for taking care of all this! Do you need coin..? Does this cost you more than time, frustration, and effort?
~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^
Lyrima - EQ2, ESO, now Baldur's Gate 3
Lark - Storm Trooper SW:TOR
Kiaria - Warden EQ2, ESO
Tira l'Arc - Ranger/Healer HZ/ EQ2, ESO
Athen'a - TankArcher AC

Alirrin

Sorry, Lyri, I totally missed this message somehow. 

No, it cost me nothing but the aforementioned time and frustration. XO handles the part that costs money and I believe that the last time he solicited donations he got rather more than he needed, so we should be good there for now!  :smitten: