News:

If you have news or announcements that you would like promoted, post in the "News! News! News!" thread in the Announcements forum, or contact your Guildleader.

Main Menu

Help Building a Computer Please

Started by Gith, January 31, 2014, 06:51:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gith

Hello all you knowledgable computer type people.

While I am somewhat savvy in the use of computers and even know how to build them I am a little in the dark concerning video cards and how the stack up against each other.

I preface this with the statement that computers are HELLA expensive in Canada compared to the US. So bear with me since I know you all can get an awesome computer for half the price.

I would like to use the build your own feature on the website of a computer store in my city to make a very good gaming rig. I want to be able to play Wildstar on maximum settings with no problems.

If anyone wants to hazard a guess as to what would be a good set up that would be nice.

Taxes in Canada are 13% so I am trying to keep the after tax price to a maximum of $2000.00.

http://www.canadacomputers.com/system_config/system_category.php?page=gaming

Any and all help is appreciated.

SW:TOR - Tecta (Dark) / ValGith (Light)
Diablo 3 - Alpharius #1269
Wildstar - Tecta
Lost Ark (NA East-Avesta) - Gith
WWZ - Gith_
FFXIV (NA-Cactaur) - Gith Redmayne

Pedekele

So here i am trying to help you out, since i just build my own a bit ago. I just cant really spend that kind of budget, it doesnt really make too much sense either to do so. The setup i picked is just fine, i picked solid parts, but not as expensive.

MSI GeForce GTX 760 Twin Frozr 3 4GB GDDR5 (N760 TF 4GD5/OC)$369.00
The MSI is the most silent cooling system of all GeForce GTX 760 and the best overall.

Intel Core i7-4770K Quad-Core Processor$359.00
A solid high quality CPU, which will be of use for all kinds of things besides gaming - video rendering and other demanding tasks, thats where intel shines over AMD, your budget says: "get intel!"

Asrock Fatal1ty Z87 Killer Socket 1150 Intel Z87 Chipset$169.99
Will support overclocking.

Corsair Vengeance Pro Red 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600MHz CL9$89.99
optional: get a second one for 16GB RAM total. or get it later when you need it like me.

EVGA 500W 80Plus Bronze Certified Power Supply$49.99

A case of your choice, ATX motherboard compadable (like this one with a nice fan in front O0)

And a cheap DVD-Drive to install your OS. You could use an old one. Else jsut pick the cheapest.

optional:

I recommend this brand of SSD Samsung 840 EVO, I got a small SSD for the important stuff (for faster access) and the rest on a big HDD - you might wanna build in your old HDD for convenience. (Of couse some sort of SSD/HDD has to be build in - not optional)

OS, windos 7 64bit... you might want something else...

Soundcard, you dont really need one...

A better CPU-cooler than the standard one you get with this CPU (which is just fine).

Cost without any optional stuff: $1037

Hope i could help  O0

Edit: Here's a side that shows this specs compared to the needed specs for wildstar.

Gith

With much help from Pedekele I post this list of parts for review by those more knowledgable than myself. Thanks for all the help Pedekele. Does this look like it will last me several years?

Mother Board - Asrock Fatal1ty Z87 Killer Socket 1150 Intel Z87 Chipset - $169.99

Processor - Intel Core i7-4770K Quad-Core Processor - $359.00

Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 760 Twin Frozr 3 4GB GDDR5 (N760 TF 4GD5/OC) - $369.00

Power Supply - EVGA 600W 80Plus Bronze Certified Power Supply (100-B1-0600-KR) - $74.99

Hard drive - WD Green 3TB 3.5" SATA3 64MB Buffer OEM Hard Drive (WD30EZRX) - $124.99

Cooling System - None required.

Sound Card - Not required. Use onboard audio from mother board.

CD/DVD/Blu-Ray - ASUS (DRW-24F1ST/BLK/B) Internal 24x DVD Writer, OEM - $19.99

Memory - Corsair Vengeance Red 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1866MHz CL10 DIMMs (CMZ16GX3M2A1866C10R) - $204.00

SDD - Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" SATA 6Gb/s Solid State Drive (MZ-7TE250BW) - $199.99

Case - Enermax CLIPEUS ECA3212-BL USB3.0 Black ATX Mid Tower - $39.99

Operating System - Windows 7 64bit Home Premium - $109.99

Total so far (before/after tax) - $1671.93/$1889.28

Wildstar - Tecta
WWZ - Gith_

PinkRose

That's a solid PC.
Looks fabulous and under your budget, which is always amazing.
What kind of monitor do you have?
The opinions expressed here are my own and I have my wife's permission to say so.

Gith

Wildstar - Tecta
WWZ - Gith_

Cyrian

Gith, that system you posted will run most everything on max graphics for at least the next 3 years, very good system.

"The Spatula of Purity shall scramble the eggs of your malfeasance!" Sir Osric The Chaste

Gith

Good to know. I went shopping today and ordered up all the parts. Gotta wait on the graphics card. Couldn't get the RAM I have listed but I got something comparable. Same with the power source. But otherwise as stated above. It is gonna be epic hopefully.

Thanks for the help guys. Ever since computer upgrades started to slow down my knowledge of hardware has lapsed.

Wildstar - Tecta
WWZ - Gith_

Gith

So update.

They did not have the video card I wanted. In fact, they originally quoted me as the 2GB one instead of the 4GB. Caught the mistake when I got home and reviewed the build order receipt. So I advised them of the mistake and they said the 4GB were on back order without any ETA. Orders from a month ago had still not been filled.

So I replaced the video card with the EVGA GeForce GTX 760 Dual 4GB FTW w/ ACX Cooler. $10 less but with the exact same specs. Compared them on NewEgg and it came across as having exactly the same everything as the original MSI one. And both had 5 star reviews across the board.

Also had to find different RAM. G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1866MHz CL10 Dual Channel Kit. Ended up being the same specs as the above listed one but a tiny bit cheaper. I found out what CL9 and CL10 mean regarding RAM today. I also found out what the amount of MHz on RAM means and why most motherboards are not going to be supporting the crazy high stuff like 2400MHz. Learning today!

Hopefully it will be built by tomorrow so I can start getting Windows and everything installed tomorrow and transferring data. Wildstar Beta comes back online noon EST tomorrow! (not gonna be ready for that :(

Hopefully these parts are comparable and of good quality. The internet seemed not to have any horrible reviews of these parts. Thanks to Tuppen for sharing his hardware knowledge when I was trying to pick replacement parts before the store closed today.

Wildstar - Tecta
WWZ - Gith_

PinkRose

Wow. My first non-onboard video card was a VooDoo2.
That was a while ago.
The opinions expressed here are my own and I have my wife's permission to say so.

Pedekele

great! dont worry about CL9/CL10 you wont feel the difference. You wont ever run into any issues with the herz of your RAM either. dun worry.

TheSwanKing

I bought mine off ebay and it's pretty beastily.  I know just enough to probably build my own but if you can find a repeatable seller you can get one for just a little bit more then if you build it, say about $100 or so.   
It has always been the prerogative of children and half-wits to point out that the emperor has no clothes. But the half-wit remains a half-wit, and the emperor remains an emperor.

The Sandman

Gith

Experiencing a slight problem with my new computer. Plugged in the speakers. They now have a slight skipping buzz background noise to them. I have unplugged them, made sure it is clean, etc. Dunno what is up.

Wildstar - Tecta
WWZ - Gith_

Pedekele

Try plug the speakers into another audio devise (not a phone, that can cause it to buzz too).  If they don't buzz, make sure your other wiring is away from the speakers because that can also cause it to buzz.

Gith

Ok, so another question for my more computer savvy friends here on the forums.

I have a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760.

I currently have two minotors hooked up to it, one through the HDMI port and one through a converter cable HDMI to VGA adapter cable.

If I want to set up a triple monitor display is that possible with this graphics card?

If not, what would I need to accomplish this?

I have a 27 inch monitor and a 32 inch TV monitor currently hooked up. They are completely different and it is sort of annoying and looks weird.

I would prefer to downgrade in size to 24-27 inch displays and get three of the exact same thing so it is consistent.

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Wildstar - Tecta
WWZ - Gith_

Alirrin

I would expect a recent vintage NVIDIA to be able to support three, but I can't speak to that directly.

However,
Quote from: Val Gith on September 06, 2015, 04:10:09 AMI currently have two minotors hooked up to it
made me laugh, and reminded me of this.
EQ2 - Antonia Bayle: Quince Flutterfoot, Frixobulus, Sunbeam

Gith

lol, that was very helpful for the question at hand ...

Wildstar - Tecta
WWZ - Gith_

Pedekele

Your card supports up to 4 monitors, 3 of them can be hooked up for gaming.

I prefer using a single monitor, so i'm not an expert on the matter, but it should be as simple as pluging your monitors into your hdmi and 2 dvi slots and selecting them in the menu (dont know what it's called in english, it's the one you can easily access by rightclicking your desktop) like you did with 2 monitors...

Gith

Any suggestions on good 27-inch monitors for a multi monitor gaming set up?

I think what I want to do is do 3 gaming monitors and then a 4th monitor above for desktop.

Sort of like this

I wonder if my graphics card can handle a game stretched across the 3 bottom ones? I tried playing SWTOR on ultra across 2 and it seemed fine. Looked silly though with my character split in half by the screens heh.

Wildstar - Tecta
WWZ - Gith_

Alirrin

I wouldn't have even thought to stretch a game across multiple monitors.  Do you end up with a panorama view that lets you see behind you?

I suppose a third monitor would put your POV back in the center of one, so you don't have the split character problem.
EQ2 - Antonia Bayle: Quince Flutterfoot, Frixobulus, Sunbeam

Gith

You basically get peripheral view. Not see behind you lol. You get a lot more room to your sides and more room to move stuff out of the way of your main POV. Move chat boxes, maps. inventory screens, etc. It is kinda nice.

Wildstar - Tecta
WWZ - Gith_