Author Topic: Focus Effects  (Read 31 times)

Offline Askari

• Guild Leader <Saga of Phinigel> on EQ1 Phinigel server
  • WildStar Officer
  • Now Playing: Everquest - Phinigel Server
Focus Effects
« on: May 16, 2018, 12:26:25 PM »
EQ is down. My work laptop is down. I guess it's time to editorialize on one of my favorite EQ subjects: Focus Effects!

As an unrepentant gearhound, Focus Effects are the first priority on all my gearing needs for any of my casters in EQ. However... what they do, how they do them, when they do them? These are not always obvious in game and it took my quite a bit of research to figure out what I want and where to get it.

I thought I'd pass some of that on, since are group will be spending so much time in the level range where I think they really start to matter a lot: 45-60.

The Basics
What is a Focus Effect?
  • It's a gear or spell effect that modifies some aspect of spells/songs (examples: Improved Damage may increase the damage of your nuke, Spell Haste may reduce the cast time, Mana Preservation may cause it to cost less mana, or for bards... Percussion Resonance may increase the effectiveness of your Percussion song).

How do Focus Effects work?
  • If you are wearing a piece of gear with an applicable Focus Effect, it will automatically be applied to the spell (example: if you are wearing an Obulus Death Shroud with Mana Preservation III and cast a spell, you will get a message that, "Your Obulus Death Shroud begins to glow." and the spell will cost 10% less mana if it is level 60 or less).
  • Bard focus effects (like Percussion Resonance) do not give these "item glow" messages.
  • Buffs that provide a focus effect, like the Cleric "Blessing of Piety" line that provides spell haste, also do not give the "item glow" message.

What do Focus Effects work on?
  • The in-game descriptions are vague at best, but most focus effects have various limitations, so here are so common limits:
    -Spell level (examples: Mana Preservation I = max level 20, II = max level 44, III = max level 60)
    -Spell type (examples: beneficial versus detrimental)
    -Spell duration (examples: direct damage/heal versus damage/heal-over-time)
    -Target exclusions (examples: "Undead Only" or "Not Uber Dragons")
    -Spell mechanism exclusions (examples: doesn't work on AE or doesn't include complete/percentage-based heals)

An Example!
    Improved Healing III
    • 1: Increase Healing by 1% to 20%
    • 2: Limit: Max Level(60) (lose 5% per level over cap)
    • 3: Limit: Effect (Hitpoints allowed)
    • 4: Limit: Instant spells only
    • 5: Limit: Spell Type (Beneficial only)
    • 6: Limit: Spell (Complete Heal excluded)
    • 7: Limit: Spell (Complete Heal excluded)
    • 8: Limit: Effect (Percentage Heal excluded)
    • 9: Limit: Combat Skills Not Allowed
    This will randomly increase the amount of hitpoint healed by an instant heal by 1%-20% (not regen or short heal-over-time spells). It doesn't work on combat skills (like monk's "Mend"). It doesn't work on complete or %-based heals.

More Examples!
    Extended Enhancement III
    • 1: Increase Spell Duration by 15%
    • 3: Limit: Spell Type (Beneficial only)
    • 4: Limit: Effect (Complete Heal (with duration) excluded)
    • 5: Limit: Effect (Invulnerability excluded)
    • 6: Limit: Min Duration (24.00 sec)
    • 7: Limit: Effect (Reaction Radius excluded)
    • 8: Limit: Combat Skills Not Allowed

Spell Haste III
    • 1: Increase Spell Haste by 15%
    • 3: Limit: Spell (Complete Heal excluded)
    • 4: Limit: Min Casting Time (3.00 sec)
    • 5: Limit: Effect (Percentage Heal excluded)
    • 6: Limit: Combat Skills Not Allowed

Do they stack?
    • The same effect does not stack (best takes priority). So if I have two Spell Haste items, only the best will take effect.
    • Different types do stack! So if I am an enchanter casting a Rune damage absorption on on someone and items with: Enhancement Haste, Extended Enhancement, Mana Preservation, Extended Range, and Reagent Conservation... I will cast Rune faster, it'll last longer, it will cost less mana, can be done at farther range, and has a chance not to use up a peridot!

Enough! Just tell me what to do, Professor!
    My focus on focus effects is very style-specific and thus Class-specific. For instance, Paladin/Ranger is going to put much less priority on Improved Healing focus gear than a Cleric, Druid or Shaman. A Wizard/Magician/Enchanter that focuses more on DD (direct damage) is going to care less about the "Affliction" (DoT) foci than a Necromancer/Druid/Shaman.

Here are some examples to watch out for as we level through our 40's and 50's:
    • Healer (Cleric/Druid/Shaman) - Improved Healing III/IV ("Boon of the Pious" is even better and starting to trickle down in a few items like a cleric shoulder that I sent to Ceinwen and some Primary/Secondary dewdads), Mana Preservation III/IV, Spell Haste III/IV
    • Buffer (Cleric/Druid/Shaman/Enchanter) - Extended Enhancement III/IV (Rokyl's, Amulet of Insight, Ceramic crafted foci at 46th), Mana Preservation III/IV, Spell Haste III/IV (Enhancement Haste III/IV is better, but more rare)
    • Nuker - Mana Preservation, Spell Haste, Improved Damage. If you stick to one damage-type, you can also find stronger ones on rare items that are type specific: "Anger of Ro" is stronger Improved Damage, but only on Fire Nukes. E'Ci for Cold. Druzzil for Magic. So as an enchanter with only Magic damage nukes, an Anger of Druzzil will give me a bit higher bonus that Improved Damage.
    • DoT'ter - The Improved Damage lines only work on Instant Spells, Burning Affliction will raise the damage per pulse on your DoTs. And while Spell Haste and Mana Preservation will work on DoTs, there are specialized foci that give higher bonuses: Affliction Efficiency (mana cost reduction) and Affliction Haste (faster cast time).
    • Pet Spammers - if your pets die constantly, Reanimation (necro) or Summoning (non-necro) foci will let you summon them quicker "Haste" and/or for less mana "Efficiency".

Dude, why do you care?
      I will admit to being a bit of a min/max junkie at times. So let me run down the benefits using the closest thing I have to a main, my druid Grimwyrd. You can't always cram all the foci into all your inventory slots and still have decent gear, but he has made an effort and has the following effects:
      • +1-23% damage on fire nukes (Anger of Ro), +1-20% damage on DoTs (Burning Affliction)
      • +1-25% on direct heals (Boon of the Pious)
      • +15% buff duration (Extended Enhancement)
      • -10% spell mana cost (Mana Preservation), -23% DoT mana cost (Affliction Efficiency)
      • 15% spell haste (Spell Haste), 33% DoT haste (Affliction Haste)

Obviously that represents a ton of time and effort to acquire all that gear, but the results are staggering. It's so beneficial that I used to loan his gear out to alts, forget, play him... and feel totally hamstrung without all my foci.

The good news is that my characters are high enough level to farm some foci. Our group is starting to be high enough level that we can hunt for some nice foci. High levels are starting to drop all this lowly 45-60 gear now that the level cap is 70 and going up to 75, so you can find some true bargains occasionally in the Bazaar (filter for "Select by Type" = "Focus Effects" and filter by your class to avoid disappointing yourself when something is wizard-only or something).

Anyway, I hope you casters found this interesting and please ask if you want more info or specific gear suggestions for classes.
EQ1-Phinigel: Fnortner, Grimwyrd, Fumoto, Iskari and army of alts. BDO: Salamandros. GW2: Arkturo. EQ2: Panacea. RIFT: Nock. SWTOR: Croaker.

Offline Askari

• Guild Leader <Saga of Phinigel> on EQ1 Phinigel server
  • WildStar Officer
  • Now Playing: Everquest - Phinigel Server
Re: Focus Effects
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2018, 06:09:27 PM »
Just a few corrections/notes from today's play session. It turns out they've jazzed up the Focus Effect since I last paid attention to them in more than a "are they there" manner. My array of foci were saying things like: "ItemX glows blue", "ItemY feels alive with power", "ItemZ flickers with pale light", "ItemQ shimmers briefly".

Anyway, I mention it because I like to make sure that I have them equipped and that they are working every once in awhile.

Also, you do get multiple messages on Burning Affliction when you have multiple DoTs on critters. Every 6 secs, you'll get one per DoT.
EQ1-Phinigel: Fnortner, Grimwyrd, Fumoto, Iskari and army of alts. BDO: Salamandros. GW2: Arkturo. EQ2: Panacea. RIFT: Nock. SWTOR: Croaker.

Offline Corsair

• Who's scruffy-looking?
  • Family Veteran
  • Pie bitches.
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2018, 09:31:10 PM »
I recall these being incredibly useful as well...thanks for all the detail sir!

Depending on class, the right/critical 3-4 focus effects can indeed provide a huge impact. If some of that level 50-60 type stuff is going cheap now, and or we can start to hunt for more of it, those are definitely things that can/should cause us to choose some hunts to go get 'em.
SWTOR - Buck Dharma
EQ on FV - Beren Fellhand
EQ2 - Oozag, Tavi, Hamhock, others.
Vanguard - Fenris, Grishnak
Horizons - Belail
Rift - Dominic Thorne
EQ Phinigel - Kiran, Trajak

Offline tanare

• EQ2 Veteran
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2018, 05:31:31 AM »
yeah I think kyria has a couple pieces with increased dot duration and lower mana cost on them. I keep an eye out when I go to the bazaar.

Saga Leadership

Executive Officer (XO)
PinkRose

Everquest 2
Jezerai (OBND Guildleader)

Guild Wars 2
Talon (Guildleader)
Auren

Everquest Next
Mixxi (Guildleader)

SW:TOR
Gith (Guildleader)