News:

If you have news or announcements that you would like promoted, post in the "News! News! News!" thread in the Announcements forum, or contact your Guildleader.

Main Menu

Spam problem

Started by Alirrin, September 07, 2019, 03:51:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alirrin

Just wanted to let everyone know that I am checking in every day to delete the spam and ban the spammers. 

I am assuming that we've hit a point where the security this forum software has is no longer sufficient to stop the latest generation of spam bots.  As of now, it is still workable - it's no more than one or two at a time, and I can delete them as they arrive.  If the pace picks up significantly, we may have to investigate alternatives.

We have had this forum for over a dozen years now, so that the spam is just now getting in is actually pretty amazing. ;-)
EQ2 - Antonia Bayle: Quince Flutterfoot, Frixobulus, Sunbeam

Corsair

Also, in thanks I owe you a  :brfm

Or other beverage of your choice. Please collect soonest.   :)
SWTOR - Buck Dharma
EQ on FV - Beren Fellhand
EQ2 - Oozag, Tavi, Hamhock, others.
Vanguard - Fenris, Grishnak
Horizons - Belail
Rift - Dominic Thorne
EQ Phinigel - Kiran, Trajak

Gith

It really isn't that bad right now. As you said, only a couple at a time. I would like to keep the Saga home going. Who knows what will happen if long lost members come back to find the lights out and the place closed down?

SW:TOR - Tecta (Dark) / ValGith (Light)
Diablo 3 - Alpharius #1269
Wildstar - Tecta
Lost Ark (NA East-Avesta) - Gith
WWZ - Gith_
FFXIV (NA-Cactaur) - Gith Redmayne

Alirrin

Oh, I for one never intend to let the lights go out.  But if the spam becomes a serious problem, it might require installing new forum software, and doing what we can to preserve our favorite bits of history from the in-character stories and family chat.  We had to do it once before, when we first started on this specific software.

But that's for future us to worry about.   :---

EQ2 - Antonia Bayle: Quince Flutterfoot, Frixobulus, Sunbeam

PinkRose

I nominate, um, Talon, to do it.
In the future, of course.
The opinions expressed here are my own and I have my wife's permission to say so.

Jasyn

I get it.  For Talon, the future is now.

#TimeTravelHumour

;D

Talon

Your votes of confidence in future me are greatly appreciated.

Shhh, Jasyn, they'll expect me to do it right away! :D