News:

If you have news or announcements that you would like promoted, post in the "News! News! News!" thread in the Announcements forum, or contact your Guildleader.

Main Menu

A little something I thought I'd share (NOT FOR THE SQUEAMISH)

Started by Zakerias, February 22, 2012, 02:31:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zakerias

I'm serious lol, if you are squeamish, click away - now. I've warned you =D.

Anyways, I thought I'd share some pics that always are fun to share. A little background, I have Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome. You can click the link if you want to learn more, but bottom line, it's a genetic collagen disorder where a protein is made wrong because of my DNA. If we look at collagen as the 'glue' of the body, think of mine as not being very sticky glue. It causes my joints to dislocate with great ease, teeth to break, eyesight to go out of focus (hence glasses), and the skin feels like velvet. So with that i took some pictures to explain this better, I know other's can do some of these two, but you'll get the idea when you get further along =D

PinkRose

The opinions expressed here are my own and I have my wife's permission to say so.

Jasyn

Learn something new everyday.  Today, this was my something.  Some of us really DO have our heads on backward.  ;D

Zakerias

LMAO you two =D

Actually the funny thing is having EDS saved my life.I had a horrible car accident, so bad that I was told by the docs later they had trauma one and a surgery team ready to go - for me. I was cut off and accelerated back up to the speed limit since the light was green. Only - it wasn't. I have such a bad sense of time, that the light had turned red in the process. So I blew through the intersection going about 35-40 mph. Very busy too, it was rush hour after work. I bounced off six or seven cars and totalled my handicapped van - if you don't know much about them, they are vans rebuilt as tanks. So think about the force needed to total a tank and there you go (and I didn't even need a handicapped van or a wheelchair but that's a whole other story). Funny thing is that I should have broken everything, literally everything or close to it. But my joints will dislocate before the bone reaches a breaking point. Cool huh? I walked, well hobbled out of the hospital that night.

Jasyn

:o Wow... just... wow.  I'm so glad you're able to be with us right now.

PinkRose

I'm not so sure about that Jasyn. Have you read Zak's Roster Card?
Nothin' but trouble.
The opinions expressed here are my own and I have my wife's permission to say so.

Zakerias

Jasyn

Quote from: Ryland on February 22, 2012, 07:40:11 PM
I'm not so sure about that Jasyn. Have you read Zak's Roster Card?
Nothin' but trouble.

Yes.  And ESPECIALLY because of that (trouble).

PinkRose

Yes, because that's what we need around here.
More Trouble. More Chaos. More Gnomes.

Gith

I can do all the hand ones lol. My arms are fit from exercise but somehow they are sorta rubbery flexible. The holding your hands at 90 degrees to your wrists without pushing them against something is pretty awesome though.

SW:TOR - Tecta (Dark) / ValGith (Light)
Diablo 3 - Alpharius #1269
Wildstar - Tecta
Lost Ark (NA East-Avesta) - Gith
WWZ - Gith_
FFXIV (NA-Cactaur) - Gith Redmayne

Zakerias

Quote from: Val Gith on February 23, 2012, 07:07:14 AM
I can do all the hand ones lol. My arms are fit from exercise but somehow they are sorta rubbery flexible. The holding your hands at 90 degrees to your wrists without pushing them against something is pretty awesome though.

Ya, are you just generally more hypermobile than others or "double-jointed" btw? There's a move happening atm that's trying to mesh everyone who can do any of those into one syndrome called Hypermobility Syndrome HMS. It's not wildly popular in EDS circles except among a small few since ours is a genetic disorder with our collagen being made improperly (one stinking protein is off lol, weird how one little minuscule thing can do that?)and those who are a little hypermobile or just 'double-jointed' usually are because of a different gene (at least that's how I've heard it explained).

Anyways, I'm rambling here. But because you can do those things, whether your fit or not, it's just something to be aware of that someday a doctor or someone else might tell you you have "Hypermobile Syndrome".

OH YA! Before I forget, the legs I can do only because I had surgery btw. I was born with something called Femoral Aneversion, which means my thighs over-rotate my legs inwards - I basically walked like a duck. When I was ten, they cut the legs above the knees and rotated the lower half outwards. The funny thing is that before the surgery, I could turn my legs all the way backwards going inwards...after - I can do it going outwards. Haha!!! :2funny:

Gith

I have double jointed thumbs. And just generally stretch out everything a lot so I guess I kept a bit of my childhood flexibility.

SW:TOR - Tecta (Dark) / ValGith (Light)
Diablo 3 - Alpharius #1269
Wildstar - Tecta
Lost Ark (NA East-Avesta) - Gith
WWZ - Gith_
FFXIV (NA-Cactaur) - Gith Redmayne

Zakerias

Quote from: Val Gith on February 24, 2012, 08:53:13 AM
I have double jointed thumbs. And just generally stretch out everything a lot so I guess I kept a bit of my childhood flexibility.

Ya, technically there's no such thing as 'double-jointed' - it's all a part of being hypermobile =D. How hypermobile you are determines whether you have Hypermobility Syndrome or HEDS (Hypermobile EDS). Weird, when I was dx'ed - we were the experts. Things are changing now thanks to the National Foundation's (EDNF) work in education. Now the doctor's are becoming the experts. It took about 20 years, but it's nice to see =P