News:

If you have news or announcements that you would like promoted, post in the "News! News! News!" thread in the Announcements forum, or contact your Guildleader.

Main Menu

DDoS = Daybreak Denial of Service

Started by Jasyn, July 10, 2015, 07:13:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jasyn

Whoa.  I had learned yesterday that DGC was under a distributed denial of service attack that has continued into today, but I was totally unaware of all the drama behind it.

To say that this is completely messed up is a bit of an understatement.

http://www.pcgamer.com/daybreak-game-company-suffers-ddos-attack-lizard-squad-claims-credit/

QuoteDaybreak Game Company suffers DDoS attack, Lizard Squad claims credit

Andy Chalk 4 hours ago

Earlier this week, Daybreak Game Company CEO John Smedley made an entirely unveiled threat toward recently-convicted Lizard Squad member Julius Kivimaki, after it came to light that the 17-year-old would not face jail time for his crimes. "His parents need to be held accountable for his actions in addition to his going to jail," Smedley tweeted. "So I'm coming for you Julius."

Smedley was understandably upset. As he explained on Reddit (via Eurogamer), a plane he was on last year was diverted by a bomb threat made by Kivimaki, who was also involved in sending Smedley pictures of his father's grave "with nasty stuff on it." He said he's been swatted multiple times, had his entire credit history posted online, and had multiple social networks hacked. He's "extremely angry" that Kivimaki was handed a two-year suspended sentence for his crimes, and so he wants to pursue the matter himself.

"I want this kind in jail for a long time. You shouldn't be able to do crap like this without any hint of a consequence," Smedley wrote. "This s**t is real to my life and my family's life and I'm sure as hell not lying down for it for a second. I've been working with law enforcement to put him and others into jail where they belong. Some of them are minors which makes it tough. Most of them are outside the US, which makes it tougher. But I'm patient and I'm going to be relentless about this."

Unfortunately, it appears that his public display of outrage has had some negative consequences for his company. Daybreak first tweeted reports of problems yesterday, when it said it was "investigating reported issues with connectivity both in-game and on our websites/forums." The trouble persisted across all Daybreak games, websites, and forums until this morning, when it appeared to subside. Shortly thereafter, however, it began again. In its most recent tweet, posted around noon ET, Daybreak wrote, "This is an unplanned outage. The teams are working to resolve it, but we do not have an ETA at this time."

Daybreak Games  ‎@DaybreakGames 

We are experiencing issues again which may result in lag, disconnects, or inability to access games, forums, or websites. The team is aware.

10:02 AM - 10 Jul 2015

John Smedley
✔  ‎@j_smedley 
looks like we are getting hit again. Sorry folks.

10:30 AM - 10 Jul 2015

75 75 Retweets

137 137 favorites

It's not exactly an official channel, but the @LizardLands Twitter account did claim credit for the attack. "Getting reports that the attack is affecting all Daybreak Game Company games. Hope you like our present John Smedley," it tweeted when the attacks first began. A pinned tweet from around the same time states simply, "H1Z1 #offline #lizardsquad."

Lizard Squad  ‎@LizardLands 

Time for some more fun.

9:57 AM - 10 Jul 2015

53 53 Retweets

124 124 favorites

At the moment, the Daybreak website is up but appears to be sluggish, as is H1Z1, but Planetside 2 could not be reached. We'll update when Daybreak sounds the all-clear.

PinkRose

I don't understand anyone that says Smedley brought this on himself.
He expressed his dislike for lawbreakers and they, in turn, again broke the law.
These are just Street thugs on the internet and I think they all need to grow up.
The opinions expressed here are my own and I have my wife's permission to say so.

Jasyn

Quote from: PinkRose on July 11, 2015, 03:35:32 PM
I don't understand anyone that says Smedley brought this on himself.
He expressed his dislike for lawbreakers and they, in turn, again broke the law.
These are just Street thugs on the internet and I think they all need to grow up.

I didn't even bother to read some of the inane comments from the peanut gallery.  If people are saying that, it's quite myopic.  The man's flight was subjected to a bomb threat; his father's grave was vandalized; he's been swatted, hacked, had his personal financial info exposed; and the company he works for has been DDoS'd by the same group multiple times.  The 17 year-old thug and his band of merry men weenies responsible face virtually nothing in the way of repercussions.  While he apologized that his public outburst led to a significant inconvenience to DGC's customers, Smed has every right to express his anger, and I wholeheartedly forgive him for looking as if he wants to shoot laser beams from his eyes in his photos.  These kiddos could be expending energy using their powers against true evil instead of an executive for a video game company.

Now, if something proportionately untoward were to happen to these punks as a result of their criminal actions, THAT is justifiably something that they brought on themselves.  Waiter, reality check please!