News:

If you have news or announcements that you would like promoted, post in the "News! News! News!" thread in the Announcements forum, or contact your Guildleader.

Main Menu

The winding road

Started by Chanteloup, October 15, 2009, 07:29:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chanteloup

The night was dark, there was no moonlight. The rain came down hard and furious. I was miserable, wet, and tired. I trudged along through the woods, focusing my thoughts at the task ahead. I was to prove my worth by slaying a Gnoll. Not any Gnoll mind you, but a Gnoll Officer. I had just started my 7th year of birth, and as was tradition in my family, I proudly accepted my task. It was to prove that I could succeed on my own. That I would no longer be considered a kitten, but a full grown Kerra. Mama worried, for that is what Mamas do. Papa stood tall, full of pride as I began my journey. My brothers teased me, as brothers will. My sisters petted me, and soothed me. I continued along, my thoughts retruning to the job at hand. I spyed a small light in the distance. A torch. I slowed my breathing, I focused on each step, making them as light as possible. It was then that I heard it. Laughter, singing, talking...............Gnolls!!! I ducked down in the brush, searching for the one that would be my fate tonite. There it stood, 10 yard arms away. It's ears pointed straight up, looking as if very alert, but I knew better. Us Kerra's had much better hearing skills than that of the gnoll. It stood leaning against a tree, its' fangs gleaming in the light of the fire. It was about 5 foot and some inches tall. The brown leather vest it wore marked it's rank. There were 5 others around the camp fire, eating some kind of meat, the smell I could not recognize. I lowered myself further, I had to think this out. How to kill the officer, and not alert the others. The gnolls continued their banter as I thought long and hard. Finally coming up with a plan, I began my move. I slinked though the underbrush being sure not to distrupt even a blade of grass. We as Kerra are very talented in that way. I closed within 4 yard arms of the officer before setting myself into a kneeling postion. The officers ears perked up!! I sucked in my breath holding it, it knew I was here. The seconds seemed like hours, my lungs ached for fresh air. It turned it's head to where I kneeled. I could see the red glow in it's eyes. I said a quick prayer to myself. Than, the gods blessed me as the 2 others began a fight taking the officers attention off of me. I slowly exhaled. The officer watched as the 2 gnolls fighting evolved into all 5 of them sparring. Now was my chance, as the officers attention was focused on them, I slowly crept up behind, my dagger in my hand. I got right behind him, taking a quick breathe, and saying a quick prayer, I lunged upon him. My paw over it's mouth, my dagger into it's side. I bit my tongue to keep from screaming out in pain, as his teeth sunk into my paw. I quickly lowered it to the ground, dragging it back deeper into the brush. Once, under the cover of the brush and darkness, I plunged my dagger into it's heart, ending it's life. I looked at this dead gnoll, for a moment guilt entered my mind. I quickly pushed that feeling out and replaced it with pride. I had done my task. I was now a Kerra!!! I looked up, and saw the other 5 gnolls hadn't even noticed, for they were still fighting amongst themselves. I took the gnolls ear off, tucking it into my pouch. Proof of my deed. Slowly, I backed away untill I could no longer see or hear the gnolls. I knelt by a creek, washing the blood off my dagger and paws. I flinched as the water sunk into the bite mark in my paw. It was a deep cut. I wraped a cloth around it and began to head home. The pride would be so very proud of me.
God save Queen Antonia Bayle

Anaris

Bella sat speechless for a while, in awe of the story Chanteloup had just told.

After a long pause, she spoke.

"But....but you were merely a kitten!  Just a 7-year-old kitten! That is so sad!"

She kept pondering what the Kerra said, wondering how many other kittens might have not been as successful as Chanteloup and had met a very differnt fate.

"So sad!"

EQ2: Luxelen, Anaris, Nixabella   GW2: Aramaia.4365